Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Saturday that Kyiv had managed to repel Russian attacks overnight and his army was still in control of the capital.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has approved another $ 350 million in Ukraine as the country faces attacks from neighboring Russia and Belarus.
“This package will include other dangerous defense assistance to help Ukraine deal with the weapons, aviation, and other threats it currently faces,” Blinken wrote in a statement on Saturday. “This brings the full security assistance the United States committed to Ukraine last year by more than $ 1 billion,” said the country’s top official.
Last fall, during a rally of Russian troops stationed at the Ukrainian border, the Pentagon approved $ 60 million for military aid to Ukraine. In December, as the Russian threat loomed, Blinken approved another $ 200 million package.
State Department spokesman Ned Price also announced on Saturday that the Pentagon would soon provide Ukraine with additional defense, including anti-tank and air defense capabilities. On Friday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the US was deciding on the best way to bring more support to Ukraine, addressing transport problems during the conflict.
“We will provide additional security assistance in Ukraine. We will. How that will be done is still being worked out, ”Kirby said, adding:” The airspace over Ukraine is at stake. “