Copenhagen Shooting: A gunman killed three people and injured others, three of them critically, at a mall in Denmark, police said.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested and charged with assaulting a customer at Field’s Shopping Center south of Copenhagen.
Police chief Soeren Thomassen said the reason was not clear and he would not dismiss the “act of terrorism”.
Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said Denmark had been brutally attacked.
Expressing condolences to the bereaved, he said he wanted to encourage the Danes to come together and support each other during this difficult time.
“Denmark was brutally attacked on Sunday night,” he said. “A few have died, and many more have been injured. Innocent families are buying or eating in restaurants. Children, teenagers and adults.”
“Our good and often secure currency was exchanged in one second,” he added.
Politicians and other personalities regretted the Copenhagen Shooting incident.
The Danish royal family said their “deepest sympathy” affected “the victims, their relatives and all those affected by the tragedy”.
“At this stage we do not know the extent of the tragedy, but it is clear that many people have lost their lives and that many have been injured,” said a statement shared by Queen Margrethe, Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.
The suspect who attacked the mall was carrying a firearm and ammunition when he was arrested, police said.
The suspect, described by police as a “Dane native”, will be questioned by a judge on Monday.
Police said they had no indication that other attackers were involved and urged shopkeepers to keep any visual images they could have.
Field’s has more than 140 shops and restaurants. The multi-storey shopping mall is located on the outskirts of Copenhagen, just across the subway line connecting the city center.
Eyewitnesses spoke of consumer insults during the shooting.
One of them, named Isabelle, told the Danish media: “Suddenly we heard a gunshot. I think I heard ten gunshots and ran to the mall and ended up in the restroom, where we huddled together in a small toilet, where we were. 11 people.
“It’s really hot and we’re waiting and we’re really scared. It’s been a very bad incident.”
The concert by British artist Harry Styles was supposed to be performed less than a mile from the scene now canceled.
Writing on Snapchat, Styles said: “My team and I pray for everyone involved in the shooting of the Copenhagen shopping mall. I am shocked. Love H.”
Shortly after the shooting, the Danish royal family announced that a reception hosted by Prince Frederik had been canceled. The event is scheduled to celebrate Denmark hosting the first three stages of the Tour de France.
Several neighboring leaders expressed shock at the incident and conveyed words of condolence to the affected families.
Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin has condemned what he calls “a horrific act of violence” and Irish Taoiseach Micheal Martin has conveyed “his deepest condolences to the families and friends of those killed and wounded”.
Norwegian leader Jonas Gahr Store said “his thoughts go out to the victims and their relatives and to the relief workers currently working to save lives”.
Denmark last witnessed a major terrorist attack in 2015, in which two people were killed and six policemen injured in a raid on a cultural center and synagogue in Copenhagen.
The gunman involved in Copenhagen Shooting was later killed in a shootout with police.