Uncertainty surrounds the fate of Novak Djokovic despite an Australian judge ruling that the tennis star be released from detention in Melbourne
Reports have claimed that Novak Djokovic has been detained for a second time in Australia despite a judge ruling that he be released, although conflicting information states the authorities are still considering their options.
A judge at a Melbourne Federal Circuit Court ruled on Monday that the Australian authorities had behaved “unreasonably” when they canceled Djokovic’s visa last week as the world number one attempted to enter the country with a Covid vaccine medical exemption.
Djokovic, 34, was ordered to be released within 30 minutes of Monday’s ruling, but more than two hours later the world number one was still said to be at the offices of a Melbourne law company where he had been allowed to watch the day’s legal proceedings.
Ominously for Djokovic, government barrister Christopher Tan had warned during the case that Immigration Minister Alex Hawke could step in to overule the judge’s decision and detain Djokovic again with a view to deporting him.
Reports in Serbia and elsewhere, some of which cited Djokovic’s father Srdjan, claimed that the Australian authorities had “arrested” Djokovic again.
Serbian media has reported Novak Djokovic has been re-arrested in Australia, according to his father
Former British Men's Number 1 Andrew Castle tells #BBCBreakfast it appears the government there may take the 'nuclear option' to deport the World Number 1https://t.co/vZ0UZKVV2g pic.twitter.com/dIZLw8hy9k
— BBC Breakfast (@BBCBreakfast) January 10, 2022
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
Significant police presence at the office of Djokovic's lawyers on Collins St, Melbourne. White vans heading into underground car park. Reports that Australian federal police heading in to arrest him. Immigration minister has four hours in which to re-cancel his visa.
— Oliver Brown (@oliverbrown_tel) January 10, 2022
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
However, adding to the confusion surrounding the case, Australian media cited government sources as asserting that the step had not been taken and that Immigration Minister Hawke was still weighing up his options.
Nonetheless, a large police presence was reported outside the downtown Melbourne offices where Djokovic was said to be present.
Meanwhile, Djokovic supporters who had gathered to celebrate the court decision on Monday were reported as being wary at getting too carried away, should the star end up back in government custody.
“I don’t want to celebrate too soon,” one supporter, Yelelna Stancovic, told the BBC.

MORE TO FOLLOW
https://ift.tt/33lrwCg 10, 2022 at 03:11PM
from RT – Daily news