At least 28 people were killed in northern Türkiye, the country’s health minister says
The death toll from a coal-mine explosion in Türkiye’s northern Bartin Province has climbed to 28, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on Saturday. He added that 11 miners had been rescued and were being treated in hospitals. Officials later said that the lives of survivors are not at risk.
The blast occurred at a depth of 300 meters (985 feet) around 6:15pm local time on Friday.
According to Energy Minister Fatih Donmez, firedamp, a mixture of flammable gasses found in mines, may have caused the explosion.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said 110 workers were at the mine when the blast happened, including 49 miners who were in the deeper parts where the risk is higher. Donmez told reporters on Saturday morning that officials so far know the location of 15 people who are still trapped.
“All of our institutions are meticulously working on all issues related to the explosion, especially the search and rescue, which started quickly after the incident,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan tweeted.
The president said he had canceled a trip to the Diyarbakir Province on Saturday in order to arrive in the city of Amasra, where the mine is located, to coordinate the rescue efforts.
https://ift.tt/IlCA4zR 15, 2022 at 01:05PM
from RT – Daily news