Hakainde Hichilema received 60.5% of valid ballots, compared with around 38% for his main rival Brian Mundubile, who denounced alleged interference
Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema has been reelected for a second five-year term after clearing the 50% threshold required to avoid a runoff, the country’s electoral commission announced on Tuesday.
Hichilema received 2,965,326 votes, or 60.5% of valid ballots, against 1,856,217 – around 38% – for his main challenger, Brian Mundubile. Turnout was 57.23%.
The result followed a temporary suspension of counting and an election-night exchange of gunfire during a security operation at Mundubile’s residence. The authorities said the raid targeted a suspected militia, while the opposition leader called it an “attempt on his life.”
The president thanked voters for their trust and said his government would also work for “those citizens who preferred the ideas presented” by his opponents.
“This election showed the world who we are: a nation of peace, a nation of law and order, a democratic nation that settles our differences at the ballot box, and nowhere else,” he said.
Mundubile has yet to formally respond to the result. During the count, however, he demanded an investigation into allegations that presidential election forms had been removed or subjected to “interference or alteration.”
“We will pursue every legitimate and constitutional avenue available to seek justice,” he said, urging supporters to remain peaceful.
Mundubile also claimed“heavily armed personnel believed to be members of the Zambia army” raided his residence and opened fire while his family and colleagues were inside. He said opposition politician Mutotwe Kafwaya and several others sustained serious gunshot wounds. Mundubile later said he had been “reliably informed” Kafwaya had died, according to local outlet Zambia Monitor.
The authorities denied Kafwaya had been shot and said the operation targeted a suspected militia whose members opened fire first. They reported seizing military-grade weapons and arresting 11 people, including senior political figures. Mundubile rejected the account, insisting his party “has no militia” and does not support violence.
Counting was suspended for several hours on Friday after attacks on polling officials and the theft of marked ballots. Police said polling agent Lovemore Chishima was assaulted at a polling station in Matero, a district of Lusaka, and later died. Nine suspects were arrested.
European Union, Southern African Development Community, and joint African Union-Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa observers described voting as largely peaceful but raised concerns over restricted freedoms, incumbency advantages, media bias and the counting suspension. The Zambia Conference of Catholic Bishops separately expressed“grave concern” over the army’s deployment during counting and demanded that detained or missing opposition figures be accounted for.
Hichilema first took office in 2021 after defeating late President Edgar Lungu. His government restructured Zambia’s debt, stabilized the currency and reduced inflation, but high food prices, unemployment and electricity shortages continued to strain households.
The campaign was also overshadowed by a dispute over Lungu’s remains following his death in South Africa in 2025. Mundubile’s alliance accused Hichilema of disrespecting Lungu’s wishes and promised to return his body to Zambia for burial if elected.
Copper-rich Zambia has held largely peaceful transfers of power since restoring multiparty democracy in 1991.